Thursday, October 28, 2010

Jeepney Wonderings #2 - Community

I cried on a jeepney. I was hot, I had a headache, sweat was running down my leg and dripping into my shoe, there was an elbow in my ribs. But my tears were of respect, of love, of awe.
Life is difficult. Things are hard. Jeeps are cramped. Sweat is universal. Hawkers scream and shout for a commission, the ceres bus races by, honking a warning. The traffic cop whistles and lets the next wave through. Smoke from the turo turo stall swirls in the windows and settles in your throat. A woman balances a baby and toddler on her lap. An old lady struggles on with baskets of goods to sell. A brother supports his sisters sleeping head. A small school boy squeezes into the gap opposite me. The conductor bangs and yells. We are full. But we are more than that. We are a community. We are strangers going in the same direction. The journey unites us and we act as a family would.
First the guiding hands of the conductor to the small boy, the shuffling hips to find a space, the encouraging smile. Then the concern over the sick child, a fan offered in silent friendship and accepted with gratitude. A divergence to drop her at home. The waiting dad, concern written in his eyes. The gentle hands support her down the aisle;  the conductor lifts her out to her father. Not her mother that cradled her head and wiped her brow, a stranger.
The old lady hails the conductor. Basket after basket slid down the aisle from hand to hand; careful, don’t break the eggs, bruise the fruit. The driver waits patiently as she shuffles down the aisle, is helped down the steps. Pulls the brake on and tells the conductor to walk her across the road. We all nod. She waves him off and gathers the strength she will need. We tut-tut in unison, but smile at her tenacity.
The mother places her son next to her and hands him a drink. The conductor makes sure he is settled before banging and shouting, no need, a stranger has already seen to it.
We shuffle to give each other room, and our change is distributed.
My change is more than 6 pesos worth. My change stays with me.

2 comments: